Saturday 24 May 2008

What an Ass

To Cooke’s corner grocery shop
I used to go as I grew up.
There to get my sweets,
Over ripe banana and other treats.
Delivering groceries to my old Gran.
Stopping to have a chat.
Swopping news of this and that.

Tesco’s, Asda and Waitrose,
That’s where my money goes.
No need to shop in store,
They’ll deliver to yur door.
“Is your house hard to find?
Then we can’t deliver, never mind,
It really is a pain being stuck in country lane,
You see our vans are too wide
To deliver to the countryside.”

Then a villager with a heart
Decided to deliver by donkey cart.
The Ford Transits laid to rest.
In Chalford Hill horse power is best.
Teddy from retirement brought
To bring the beer for winter sport.
“I’m afraid I’ve made a substitue,
The donkey ate the fruit on route.
And while we stand and discuss your veg
The brute has started on your hedge.
Have you got a bucket and spade?
I’ll remove the mess it’s made.
They say it’s good for the roses,
Violets, Sweet Williams and other posys.

By John Ball

No comments: